IndyCar’s Conor Daly open to last-minute Daytona 500 ride
IndyCar driver Conor Daly would agree to a last minute trip to the Daytona 500 if he had the opportunity to compete in ‘The Great American Race’.
Last week, Helio Castroneves ruled out trying to race NASCAR’s season-opening race because the four-time Indianapolis 500 winner didn’t believe there was enough time to prepare for the race. February 19 event. Castroneves, after a failed race with Trackhouse Racing, has entered into talks with the team owned by Floyd Mayweather.
Daly, meanwhile, made his NASCAR Cup Series debut last October driving for Mayweather’s team. Daly said Wednesday that talks with The Money Team Racing regarding the Daytona 500 had been opened following Castroneves’ withdrawal.
“Who knows what’s going to happen in the next few days or weeks, I guess,” he said. “If this opportunity arose, I spoke with a young man by the name of Helio Castroneves earlier, and I think for him such an opportunity could probably arise at any time.
“But for me, I don’t know if such an opportunity would present itself. If there’s a chance, I feel like I can’t not do it, or at least not try.
Last year, TMT competed in the Daytona 500 with driver Kaz Grala in the first NASCAR race for Mayweather’s team. Grala finished 26th.
Daly’s only NASCAR experience on an oval was in the Truck Series. His cup race in No. 50 was on The Roval at Charlotte Motor Speedway, a hybrid road course that uses part of the oval. He finished 34th.
“Really cool to be able to do this and be part of the NASCAR Cup Series and hopefully shine some light on the IndyCar Series as well,” Daly said.
AP Auto Racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports