No. 2 Women’s Tennis Tops No. 5 Georgia
CHAPEL HILL, NC — The No. 2 University of North Carolina women’s tennis team now sits 12-0 this season following a 5-2 win over No. 5 Georgia at Cone-Kenfield Tennis. Center Wednesday night.
Despite falling behind after a Bulldogs victory on the first court, the Tar Heels came back strong to earn the first point and remain undefeated in doubles this season. Abbey Forbes and Reilly Tran evened things up after a hard-fought 6-4 win over Anastasiia Lopata and Ania Hertel in third place.
Fiona Crawley and Carson Tanguilig have proven why they are the No. 1 ranked duo in the country. After trailing 5-3 on the second court, the pair made a strong comeback winning four straight to clinch the point in a 7-5 win over Meg Kowalski and Mell Reasco.
No. 8 Tangulig continued that momentum in singles play as she quickly extended UNC’s lead to 2-0 after a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Reasco on court three. However, the visiting side found themselves within one after No. 31 Dasha Vidmanova outlasted Reese Brantmeier 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 for second place.
Forbes, the No. 5 player in the nation, quickly held off the Tar Heels by two after their 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 win over No. 100 Kowalski on court four.
Despite dropping the first set, 3-6, to fifth-placed Ania Hertel, No. 58 Elizabeth Scotty bounced back for a pair of sets 6-4 to clinch her for Carolina. It was his second decisive point of the season.
Deciding to play the match, Tran cruised to a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 win over sixth-placed Lopata to seal the 5-2 victory.
Next, the Tar Heels travel to Seattle, Washington for the ITA National Team Indoor Championship Feb. 10-13 at the Nordstrom Tennis Center on the Washington campus. UNC has won the last three league titles and six in the last 10 seasons.
1. No. 19 Ma (UGA) def. No. 1 Crawley (UNC), 2-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
2. No. 31 Vidmanova (UGA) def. Brantmeier (UNC), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. No. 8 Tanguilig (UNC) def. Reasco (UGA), 6-4, 6-2
4. No. 5 Forbes (UNC) def. #100 Kowalski (UGA), 7-6(7-5), 6-4
5. #58 Scotty (UNC) def. Hertel (UGA), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. No. 48 Tran (UNC) def. #64 Lopata (UGA), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
Finishing order: 3, 2, 4, 5*, 1, 6
1. Grant/Nirundorn (UGA) def. Scotty/Brantmeier (UNC), 6-3
2. No. 1 Crawley/Tanguilig (UNC) def. Kowalskia/Reasco (UGA), 7-5
3. Forbes/Tran (UNC) def. Lopata/Hertel (UGA), 6-4
Order of arrival: 1, 3, 2*
Stay up to date with all the latest UNC Women’s Tennis news by following them on Twitter or Instagram.